

Palazzo d'Accursio
Shutterstock
That beautiful building stretching across the square is the Palazzo d’Accursio, Bologna’s historic city hall. Built in the 13th century, it was named after its first owner, a prominent jurist who taught law at the University of Bologna. By 1336, it had become the seat of the city’s top magistrates, and later evolved into the town hall, which is why it’s also called the Palazzo Comunale. The Clock Tower rising above the building was added in the 15th century, while the grand entrance wasn’t designed until 1555. On the doorway, you’ll spot a statue of Pope Gregory XIII. Legend has it that, to prevent it from being looted by Napoleon’s troops, the people of Bologna disguised the statue as Saint Petronius, the city’s patron saint. Over the centuries, the Palazzo d’Accursio has been reshaped and expanded many times, but it still carries the character of its medieval origins. Inside, it houses numerous administrative offices, and impressive paintings and decorative objects spanning from the Middle Ages to the 19th century. There’s also the Morandi Museum, dedicated to the works of this major 20th-century Italian painter.







